Megastar Chiranjeevi dominated Telugu film industry for over two decades and he has done many films which ended as classics in the hearts of the audience. One among them is Tagore which has been a strong social message that impressed the audience. VV Vinayak directed the film and Shriya Saran,
Jyothika played the female leads. Here are some interesting facts about the film:
1. Tagore was a remake of Tamil blockbuster Ramana which has been directed by AR Murugadoss. When Chiru wanted to remake the film, Murugadoss felt that he will be asked to direct the film by Chiranjeevi handed over the responsibility to VV Vinayak as he was not completely confident on Murugadoss during those days.
2. Though the movie ended up as a huge blockbuster in Tamil, the makers have made many changes that suit the Telugu nativity.
3. Tagore which has been titled Ramana in Tamil acquired the International Film Academy Award as the Best Film.
4. The movie has also been remade in Kannada and Hindi languages. It was Akshay Kumar who has done the Hindi version directed by Krrish and the Kannada version featured Vishnuvardhan in the lead role.
5. Tagore was the biggest ever released Telugu film during those days. The movie released with 285 prints in 421 theatres across the world.
6. The advance booking of Tagore tickets opened a week prior to the release and after the movie receiving stupendous response, the tickets have been sold out for the next 10 days.
7. The movie collected Rs 9.5 crores in its first week and the movie collected Rs 15.04 crores by the end of the second week. Tagore minted Rs 25.5 crores in its final run and the other rights fetched Rs 5 crores on the whole.
8. Tagore smashed many records in Tollywood. The film completed 50 days in 253 centres, 100 days in 191 theatres which is huge for a Telugu film.
9. The makers of the movie worked hard to eradicate the piracy and they announced a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh if any pirates have been found out. The makers also announced that Megastar Chiranjeevi will hand over the prize money.
10. B Madhu produced Tagore and after the release of the film, his name has been updated to Tagore Madhu by the industry circles which made him quite popular.